What is round the world insurance?
Traveling anywhere in the world in complete serenity is essential. This therefore means being covered in all countries and for all risks. This is why round-the-world insurance generally offers a package including the following guarantees (some optional):
- assistance guarantees (with essential search and rescue costs for adventurers) and repatriation;
- health guarantees;
- civil liability guarantees;
- guarantees of legal assistance and bail;
- sports guarantees which are optional (depending on the contracts: practice of risky sports, but also guarantee of sports equipment);
- individual accident guarantees;
- theft and loss of luggage guarantees (optional);
- trip cancellation guarantees (usually optional);
- flight delay, trip interruption, etc. guarantees.
>> Our service – Discover all our insurance comparators (health, auto, home, funeral, etc.)
Who is this round the world insurance intended for?
This type of contract is intended for frequent travelers who leave for a minimum period of 3 months and a maximum of 12 or 24 months depending on the insurers, in distant countries (mainly outside Europe) and in which the risks are increased (cost of medical care and hospitalization costs).
Beware, however, of the age limit for the subscriber. According to the insurers, these contracts are generally no longer accessible to travelers over the age of 65/66, other contracts accepting to guarantee people up to 79 years of age.
How to choose your cover to go around the world?
The range of guarantees is wide. However, not all of them are necessarily useful for every traveler. It is up to everyone to make sure according to their real needs, which they will determine according to:
- its destination countries and those crossed (and particularly specificities in terms of the cost of medical expenses – but not only).
- his sports practices;
- the cost of guarantees and the amount of applicable deductibles.
Good to know : some contracts are accessible even after arriving abroad and can be taken out from abroad. In this case, a waiting period (on average around 8 days) will then be applied.
Some contracts require a medical questionnaire. It should be noted that the contracts do not cover the consequences of accidents and illnesses prior to the date of subscription.
How much does round the world insurance cost?
Pricing depends on:
- guarantees taken out (additional cost for optional guarantees),
- countries visited (mainly divided into 3 areas),
- the age of the insured,
- the length of your stay in certain countries (USA and Canada in particular);
- the number of people insured (certain reductions may apply when traveling as a couple, family or group).
Considering the number of parameters to take into account, it is difficult to indicate an average cost. Nevertheless, with regard to the basic guarantees and for a cover limited to one year, an insured person aged under 35 must pay a monthly contribution of 42 euros to be insured worldwide with the exception of the USA and Canada. . It takes 51.26 euros per month on average to benefit from the USA + Canada extension (the above prices are the result of the average of 4 of the best-known contracts on the market). The average cost is between 500 and 615 euros per year, depending on whether or not the guarantee applies to the USA and Canada.
Good to know : before choosing this type of contract, more than ever, detailing the ceilings, exclusions and deductibles, guarantee by guarantee, is essential in order to be able to compare the contracts.
Receive our latest news
Each week, the key articles to accompany your personal finance.