Elon Musk says he will reinstate suspended journalist accounts

The billionaire had caused an uproar on Friday by suspending from the social network a dozen journalists who followed his news.

Elon Musk, the new owner of Twitter, said late Friday night that he would restore the accounts of several American journalists on this social network after causing an uproar by suspending them.

“The people have spoken. Accounts that published my location will have their suspensions lifted,” tweeted the billionaire, who was threatened with sanctions by the European Union on Friday. The UN had condemned “a dangerous precedent” with this suspension.

Elon Musk had launched a poll on Twitter to ask if he should restore the suspended accounts immediately or in a week. Almost 59% of the 3.69 million Internet users who participated in the survey answered that he should restore them immediately.

A dozen journalists suspended

A dozen American journalists have been suspended from the social network. Among them, media workers like CNN (Donie O’Sullivan), the New York Times (Ryan Mac), the washington post (Drew Harwell) and independent journalists.

Some had tweeted about Twitter’s decision Wednesday to suspend the account that automatically reported Elon Musk’s private jet trips.

The latter accused them of endangering his and his family’s safety. He claimed in a tweet on Wednesday that a vehicle with one of his children on board had been tracked in Los Angeles by “a crazy stalker” that appears to provide a causal link to the real-time positioning of his jet.

Leave a Comment